All about Strathmore Alberta Canada
The town began as a hamlet for the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) lines that were built in the area in 1883. The CPR named the town after one of its benefactors - Claude Bowes-Lyon, the Earl of Strathmore. The Earl's granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth, as consort to King George VI, later visited the community in June, 1939.
In 1905 the CPR moved the hamlet of Strathmore four miles north to its current location. A track laying record was made between Strathmore and Cheadle when the railroad was built. In one hour one mile (1.6 km) of steel was laid and, at the end of the ten-hour working day, the rails were laid to Cheadle, 9 miles (15 km) for a record. Efforts by the Canadian government to develop western Canada led to increases in Strathmore's population and its importance as a rail supply stop.
The CPR railroad tracks are now gone, the land having been subdivided.
Strathmore Alberta Demographics
In 2009, Strathmore had a population of approx. 12,000 living in about 4,500 dwellings.
Industry and Employment
Today, the town is an important agricultural community. Oil and gas exploration is also a growing interest in the area. It is the headquarters of the Golden Hills School Division. Many commute daily from Strathmore to Calgary. Over the past three years the town has seen a major growth in commercial development.
|< Prev||Next >|